Wednesday, June 13

Safari zero day - Windows

safari windows goldcoasterYou have probably read that Apple has made their Safari browser compatible for windows, big deal I say - I don't need another browser but maybe others do and it is good to have choice.

I have used IE7 since Beta and have never (honest) had problems with it, reading about WinSafari people are in trouble. Typical posts are this...

I'll give Safari more time to be fair, but for now it is buggier than should be expected - crashing, hogging CPU, taking forever to load pages and failing to interact with e.g. the most popular online email (yahoo). This one was rushed out of the dressing room without getting zipped up.

I am guessing Apple has released it just like the new versions of iTunes for Windows, in a poor state. I have been cheesed off with Apple about iTunes 5 (ouch what a shocker) and iTunes for Vista. I am sure they either don't test properly and leave it to users to report bugs or they just can't program Windows apps... or both. But that doesn't matter, Apple fanatics will jump to it's defence.

One big problem is that it has created security vulnerabilities - a zero day exploit just 2 hours after release. It is a command execution vulnerability, triggered without user interaction simply by visiting a web site. Great!

Remember this is from the Safari download page:
"Why You'll love Safari
...
12. Security
Apple engineers designed Safari to be secure from day one."

Yeah, sure.

(I hope you like the photo of the original Safari Windows :) )



This is another of my useful , interesting blogs I write at the moment, my main one is GoldCoaster

Keep checking back here for more great posts.

No comments: